News from mikworks

May 07, 2008

Times Application Icon Design

Times Application Icon Design

A new entry has been added to the Client Work section. It's an application icon design for "Times" by Acrylic Software. Times is a new type of newsreader for Mac OS X Leopard. The icon for Times is a semi-realistic 3D illustration designed to well match other Apple application icons. As well as the 512x512 pixel large icon, fine-tuned graphics were pursued in all sizes.

May 07, 2008 at 11:00:03 PM | Posted by mikio

Comments

Mikio | December 31, 2008 at 2:32:09 PM

Joseph,
Although I'm looking for a better 3d app, I use Shade for making mockups at present.

Joseph Silvashy | December 31, 2008 at 2:09:23 AM

mikio, do you use a 3d app like maya or something to rough out a model first or do you go right in with a brush?

Michael Virtanen | October 14, 2008 at 6:43:11 AM

Yeah great work as always. The funny thing is that this site is one of the "old" custo sites.
But mikworks is still going strong, and its great to see.
All the best m8
GFXman

Josh | May 28, 2008 at 2:24:26 PM

It's funny, I actually just found this page because I specifically wanted to find out more about the Times icon and in particular, whether any other colors were tried for the mug. The blue is driving me NUTS! Safari, iChat, Mail, Times, and Things sit next to each other in my Dock, and I'm feeling some serious blue fatigue. My favorite mug looks identical to the mug in the icon, and is sort of a pistachio/pastel-green color. I think I'm going to have to make some modifications!

Otherwise, it's a work of art. Fantastic job.

Vincent Garnier | May 20, 2008 at 1:32:23 AM

I really like this icon, great work ;)

Mikio | May 13, 2008 at 4:32:38 PM

Well, client and I finally decided the blue mug after tried to A LOT of colors. So we love that blue one. But thanks for your opinion. I haven't thought about red colors. Interesting. :)

Matthew | May 11, 2008 at 2:05:39 PM

The icon is absolutely incredible, however I think it was a mistake to make the cup blue. My first impression as the icon popped up in my dock was "wow" but the second was "oh another one of those geneic blue aqua icons". That cup is screaming to be red. Curiously, was it the choice of the developer?

Anyway, that's my opinion.